There are presently no open calls for applications.
Center for Art and Social Engagement and Project Row Houses have created a fellowship program that invites artists and cultural practitioners to the Third Ward to work alongside urban planners, educators and policy makers. The fellows will engage in creative collaborations that involve the Houston's historic Third Ward community and address issues important to the artists's creative practice and our local communities.
The two fellows will have a year-long mentorship with project administrators Sixto Wagan, director of the UH Center for Art and Social Engagement at the University of Houston's Kathrine G. McGovern College of the Arts, and Ryan N. Dennis, PRH's Curator and Programs Director. Local artists, faculty members, community members and selected leaders will offer their support during this process. The Fellows will present to the public their research–to-date at the end of their fellowship.
Benefits of the program include:
- a stipend of $15,000,
- $5,000 project/research budget
- a community Brain Trust of local artists, community members, and faculty to advise and ground the project in a local discourse, and
- for non-Houston Fellows local housing at Project Row Houses with $1,000 in travel support
In return, the fellows are asked to engage our communities – Third Ward, university, artistic, and myriad other – in a process that involves:
- A public presentation of previous work and Fellowship guiding questions at the beginning of the Fellowship,
- Present a public talk/project at the end of residency
- Co-organizing a Community Conversation with PRH Curator and Programs Director and CASE Director
- Monthly meetings with the program directors
Please submit all materials by November 15, 2018.
Planned notification of fellowship recipients will occur by December 13.
Please address any questions or points of clarification to:
• Sixto Wagan, Director of the Center for Art and Social Engagement, firstname.lastname@example.org; 713.743.4281
• Ryan Dennis, Curator and Programs Director at Project Row Houses, email@example.com, 713.526-7662